A couple of weeks ago I bought a ficus Microcarpa from Walmart. The label says bonsai just in case someone wasn’t aware it’s not a houseplant.
I repotted it immediately into bonsai soil and let it sit until I figured out what I wanted to do with it.
So it sat outside in the sun. It didn’t drop any leaves. Today I decided that I would root the top and develop it into a small banyan (hopefully). Look at that inverse taper.
Chopped off and the wound cleaned up.
Here’s the top.
I took a box cutter and cut the new bottom to hopefully encourage roots to grow. Some rooting hormone was brushed onto the wounded area.
Then it was wired down into the pot. It was a complete bitch getting it to sit right while keeping the plastic screen on top to protect the bark against the wire.
It’s a little deeper in the top than it will eventually be. The soil is 2/3 pumice, 1/3 akadama, with a tablespoon of milorganite sprinkled into the surface.
I was attempting a virt, but my stylus walked off. This is the best I could do with a finger.