Not my smokes:
Something of a knob where all the branches have been allowed to grow from the chop site:
It’s not pot bound, but I want to put it into a good draining mix:
It’s in good ol’ dirt:
There’s a bit of chunky tubers under the base that I’ll need to flatten down to fit into the pot:
You can see where I chopped the bigger surface root and a crossing root off. Don’t forget to wire your trees into the pot:
In the pot before defoliating:
From the top:
A quick tip. Put a piece of screen material or cloth (t-shirt) over your soil surface when defoliating. It saves time cleaning up.
Now time to practice my wiring!
I didn’t finish it all in one sitting. Wiring takes a lot more time than I thought back when I was only looking at pictures of wiring. The next day I finished it. Still needs some tweaking, but from the top down:
And a couple possible fronts:
Initially I thought I should remove all but two of the main upper trunks because there is already that knob forming where they all sprout, but I think as a sort of informal upright broom it works. I dunno, I’ll see where it takes me. Bonsai is not a static art form. Some day it could be chopped back down and restarted from two of the upper trunks or even chopped below that for a really squat sumo tree.